Its that time of year again!!! Family photos and what to wear is the dilemma du jour!
- Textures and layers always look nice and add depth and detail to the photo. Knits, scarves and sweaters for the fall and winter portraits are great on camera!
- Solids colors are best. Busy, loud patterns or logos will draw too much attention in your photos, so solids are always a safe bet!
- Avoid clothes with fine, repetitive lines typically found on men’s dress shirts or suits. These detailed lines can be difficult for the camera to register and may appear as wavy lines instead.
- Avoid wearing loud or fluorescent colors since it can be distracting when looking at a photos and the colors can reflect on your face. So, unless you want to be bright orange, it’s best to stay away from fluorescents.
- IRON your wardrobe! I can’t stress this enough. Every detail will show up in your portraits, so be sure to iron out any wrinkles, remove lint and loose threads.
- Don’t over-do accessories.
- If you wear eye glasses all the time, feel free to bring them, but if you can do without your glasses or have contact lenses, this is a better option. Eyeglasses can cause a reflection of light or objects.
- Everyone should dress in a similar-style, for example: All casual or all formal. Even the shoe styles should be consistent. In other words, don’t have some family members with closed-toed shoes and others with flip-flops in the same photo.
- Shirts and dress colors should be within the same color palette or be complimentary colors, rather than everyone in identical colors. Identical colors tend to look too “matchy”.
- Pants and skirts can be similar or identical in color, for example: light denim, dark denim, tan khakis.
- Women’s clothing is more colorful than men’s clothing. I always tell Moms to start with picking a color they like best for the girls, then put the guys in a more neutral color. Super cute when Moms and daughters throw a splash of similar color with an accessory like a matching scarf or headband. Here are some great combinations!
Fall Family Picture Outfit Ideas
There are recognizable markers that trigger the “fall feeling” in each of us. With the weather cooling down, the leaves changing, and a trip to the pumpkin patch in the near future, fall is full of inspiration you can use for your outfit choices. If you are taking your family photos during the fall season, incorporate seasonal earth tones, rich maroons or burnt oranges. Wear layers and have fun playing in the leaves. Use the following Fall color arrangements and styling tips to guide your clothing selections.
Fall outfits are all about the layers! Plus, wearing layers makes for a quick outfit change too.
Take advantage of the colorful fall leaves and let them inspire your outfit choices.
Use fall accessories to add texture to your photos. Think big scarves and stylish boots.
Plaid shirts are a popular clothing selection for fall family photos. Think about dressing a few of your members in this season appropriate pattern.
Check out these ideas on Pinterest!